About the Instructor:
- Energetic, engaging teacher who works from a growth mindset
- M.A. in Art + Design Education from the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
- 8 years’ experience in visual arts education with all ages (kindergarten through adult)
- Specialization in 2D visual arts (drawing, painting, illustration, mixed media arts) and visual storytelling (including comics, animation, and film)
- 2 years’ training and experience as a writing tutor in the Writing Centers at RISD and Grinnell College
- Experience working with English language learners (ELL)
- References available
Private Art Lessons
All ages and skill levels.
Creative, personalized instruction designed to meet students’ interests and goals. Whether students hope to improve their skills in realism, expose themselves to new materials and processes, navigate the creative process from brainstorm to execution, or tell clear and effective stories through visual languages, I will work with students to craft a personalized curriculum that prioritizes their goals and interests.
Past courses taught include:
- Drawing Fundamentals
- Drawing Reality
- So You Think You Can’t Draw?
- Comics and Cartooning
- Creative Writing
- Memoir Writing
- Introduction to Animation
- Introduction to Film
Aimed at middle and high school students looking to develop robust artistic portfolios for application to arts-focused camps, high schools, and colleges/universities.
Targeted lessons designed to help art students develop polished, professional portfolios for application to arts-focused institutions such as arts camps, arts high schools, and art colleges/universities. These lessons will focus on developing a robust artistic portfolio that shows a range of technical and conceptual skills and emphasizes each student's unique strengths, style, and personality. Furthermore, students will learn how to effectively document their work for inclusion in a professional-quality portfolio.
All ages and skill levels.
Dedicated, personalized tutoring to help students with any range of writing goals. From pre-writing to outlining, construction, grammar, style, and clarity, this is a one-stop shop to develop your writing for your purposes. Perfect for students looking to develop specific kinds of writing such as:
- College applications
- Graduate school applications
- Grant applications
- School Assignments
- Creative Writing (fiction, nonfiction, poetry)
Trained by college writing centers at the undergraduate and graduate levels, I have both formal training and experience in tutoring students with a wide variety of ages, education levels, writing skills and writing goals. Experience working with ELL students. References available upon request.
College Application Tutoring
Rising juniors and seniors in high school.
Tutoring designed specifically to help your high school student prepare their college application materials--from essays to résumés to tracking and organizing required materials for each individual application.
Tutoring can help your student:
- Get organized: create a system to track each part of each application and keep on top of deadlines to ensure that each submission is thoughtful, polished, and complete.
- Get started: brainstorm ideas for essays, create an outline, and build drafts.
- Get feedback: revise and refine application materials into clear, expressive, and compelling documents that truly highlight your student’s unique strengths.
- Get accepted!
Pricing: Individual lessons and tutor sessions are priced at $75/hour. Small group lessons add $25 per additional student (two students = $100, three students = $125). Students or groups purchasing 6 or more lessons in advance will receive a 10% discount.
Classes and Workshops: Rates vary depending on the size, duration, location, and content of the workshop. Please use the form to the right to describe your proposed workshop - I will get back to you ASAP to negotiate a quote.
Please use the form at right to contact me with questions or reference requests.